Nontraditional Student Scholarships: Student Involvement and Leadership Center
Nontraditional student scholarship information.
Nontraditional students at the University of Kansas, Lawrence campus.
The Student Involvement & Leadership Center, Nontraditional Student Services is administering the award process for three KUEA-endowed scholarship funds specifically for nontraditional students at the University of Kansas, Lawrence campus. Additionally, Nontraditional Student Leader scholarships are available (pending the award of funding) from the Educational Opportunity Fund monies distributed by Student Senate. All scholarships require financial need as a primary criterion. The amount and number of awards may vary each year. Unless students are expecting to graduate in fall 2008, scholarships are distributed in equal amounts for both the fall 2008 and spring 2009 semesters. Two of the awards (Gottdenker & Breakey) will consider graduate in addition to undergraduate applicants. A selection committee will determine who will be awarded and the amount to be awarded to each qualified applicant.
I. Meet at least one of the following nontraditional student criteria:
· 3 or more years older than traditional classmates (21-year-old freshman or older, 22-year-old sophomore or older, etc.) for undergraduates OR 25-years-old or older for graduates as of 4/4/08
· Parent of at least one dependent child as of 4/4/08
· Commuter of more than 10 miles to Lawrence as of 4/4/08
· Married as of 4/4/08
· U.S. Military Veteran as of 4/4/08
II. Demonstrate financial need. All applicants must have submitted the 2008-2009 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) (http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/), except international students, who must complete the 2008-2009 International Student Needs Analysis Worksheet (http://www.financialaid.ku.edu/forms/07ay/07ayKUISNeedAnalysis.pdf).
III. Be in good standing academically or have a 3.00 GPA in the previous two semesters at KU.
IV. Be currently enrolled in the spring 2008 semester and plan to enroll in fall 2008.
I. Paula Gottdenker award:
· Graduate or undergraduate female, age 50 or older, unmarried, full- or part-time enrollment
II. Mary C. Breakey award:
· Graduate or undergraduate female, Kansas resident, 1-6 credit hour enrollment only
III. Soad El-Hodiri award:
· Undergraduate only, male or female, full- or part-time enrollment
IV. EOF Nontraditional Student Leader Scholarship
· Undergraduate only, enrolling in 6 or more hours for Fall 2008. Demonstrate significant contributions to campus and/or community.
- Submit the FAFSA to federal processing (U.S. citizens and permanent residents only) OR submit the International Student Needs Analysis Worksheet to the Office of Student Financial Aid (International students only)
- Submit the attached application.
- Submit a current ARTS form or KU academic transcript with application.
- Submit a personal statement with application. Statement should be typewritten, double-spaced, 12-point font, and 750 words or less with the following as suggested topics:
· Educational commitment and goals, including any future plans to continue your education
· Personal and professional short and long term goals
· Financial need, including explanations of any special
circumstances (loss of income or assets, additional expenses, etc.) unaccounted for in your financial aid information
· Personal history, such as family background, special interests, activities and previous awards or recognition
· Campus and community leadership contributions and involvement regarding any issues or groups
5. Submit a current résumé with application.
6. Letters of support from two professors (one must be from a current class and the other can be from the academic program in which you are enrolled) addressing your character and dedication to academia.
7. FAX or deliver application form, personal statement, ARTS form/transcript, and résumé to the following:
Student Involvement & Leadership Center, Kansas Union
ATTN: Nontraditional Student Services, Aaron Quisenberry
1301 Jayhawk Blvd, Room 400
Lawrence, KS 66045
Aaron Quisenberry- Associate Director
864-4861 or email@example.com
Student Involvement & Leadership Center
1301 Jayhawk Blvd.- Room 400 Kansas Union
Lawrence, KS 66045