Financial Aid Certification for a GRE Fee Reduction
The purpose of the GRE Fee Reduction is to reduce some of the costs associated with entering graduate school for high ability, high need students. A student may only be issued one certificate per testing year, even if the applicant has lost the certificate or doesn’t attend the test date. There are a limited number of reductions allowed by Educational Testing Services (ETS) for the GRE, and therefore, some students may not receive a reduction from ETS, even though they were issued the certificate from the office of Financial Aid and Scholarships (FAS).
Current and graduated KU students who are taking the GRE for entrance to graduate school.
Eligibility - An applicant must be:
- a U.S. citizen or resident alien,
- a college senior receiving financial aid through an undergraduate college in the U.S., U.S. Territories or Puerto Rico, or a returning un-enrolled college graduate who has applied for financial aid,
- a dependent college senior whose Institutional Student Information Report (ISIR) shows a parental contribution of not more than $2,500 for the senior year,
a self-supporting college senior whose ISIR shows a contribution of not more than $3,000 for the senior year,
an un-enrolled college graduate whose ISIR indicates self-supporting status and a contribution of not more than $3,000 (EFC criterion is subject to change).
Procedures for obtaining a GRE fee reduction:
- The student must request a GRE Fee Reduction Certificate from the FAS office (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- The student must not register for the GRE before getting the fee reduction certificate, as it must be submitted with the other test registration materials via regular mail.
- If the student meets eligibility criteria, FAS will give the student the GRE Fee Reduction Certificate to submit with their registration materials for the GRE exam.
- The student cannot be issued a second certificate even if the student misses the scheduled test date or loses the certificate.
- A Fee Reduction Certificate can be used when re-taking a GRE Test, but only one GRE Certificate can be issued per year.