Bulletin Boards, Posting of Materials, and Sidewalk Chalking, Policy on
To describe the conditions under which materials may be posted to campus bulletin boards and the conditions under which sidewalk chalking is permissible on the property of the University and its affiliate organizations
All faculty, staff, students, and campus visitors
Bulletin Boards and Posting
- The use of bulletin boards within campus classrooms is restricted to instructional information, as defined by the instructors who use each room. Bulletin boards or portions thereof that are clearly marked for use by university units (e.g., departmental posting areas) or by recognized entities representing University employees (e.g., the Kansas Association of Public Employees) may not be used for commercial advertising or other non-unit related information. Such materials may be removed immediately and without notice to the sponsoring group.
Instructional information includes course syllabi, assignments, information about lectures or events related to the content of the courses, or other relevant materials posted by the instructors. Materials posted by University units may include notices about classes; departmental meetings; scholarship, study, or employment opportunities; or lectures, exhibits, or performances sponsored by the school or department.
- Those bulletin boards designated “general use” bulletin boards located at various campus sites are intended primarily for use by KU students, faculty, and staff. Informational materials may be posted only on general use bulletin boards. Such materials may not be posted on walls, exterior doors, chairs, utility poles, bus stops, newspaper distribution boxes, vehicle windshields, or other surfaces that are not designated for such purposes because these acts contribute to littering on campus and increase administrative costs associated with maintenance, upkeep, and the preservation of campus beautification. Such materials are subject to immediate removal without notice to the sponsor, and the sponsor may be billed for costs related to removal, clean up, or repair. In the case of commercial advertisements, both the company whose products or services are being advertised and any advertising agency or group responsible for the postings may be billed for such costs.
Informational materials include announcements and information from student organizations, information about community events, commercial advertisements, and KU and community classifieds.
- Those bulletin boards designated for “university use” located at various campus sites are intended exclusively for use by student and campus groups registered with the Student Involvement and Leadership Center, University departments, and other campus units. Materials posted on “university use” boards by groups other than registered student and campus organizations and University units are subject to immediate removal without notice to the sponsor, and the sponsor may be billed for costs related to removal, clean up, or repair. In case of commercial advertisements, both the company whose products or services are being advertised and any advertising agency or group responsible for the postings may be billed for such costs. Additionally, any company or group that violates this policy on a consistent basis (e.g., three or more postings in an academic year) shall lose the privilege of setting up information tables on campus for the duration of that year.
- University units and student and campus organizations that are registered with the Student Involvement and Leadership Center are permitted to chalk on the property of the University or its affiliate organizations in order to publicize events they are sponsoring or to promote student participation in University events. Any other individual or group wishing to chalk on the property of the University or its affiliated organizations must obtain permission in advance from the University Events Committee. Chalking by unauthorized individuals or groups is subject to immediate removal and the individuals or groups responsible may be charged for the cost of cleanup.
- Chalking is permitted on horizontal paved/concrete, uncovered campus sidewalks. Only water-soluble dry stick sidewalk chalk may be used. Aerosol spray chalk is not permitted. Chalking on covered sidewalks, stairways, curbs, or stair risers, on brick surfaces, on buildings, benches, planters, trash containers, pillars, any vertical surfaces, or anything other than the paved/concrete, uncovered sidewalks mentioned above is not permitted. All chalking on campus will be subject to routinely scheduled removal.
- All other chalking is subject to immediate removal and the individuals or groups responsible may be charged the cost of cleanup. Student groups that are registered with the Student Involvement and Leadership Center may also lose their registered status if they violate this policy.
- A member of the University community who chalks on the property of the University or its affiliated corporations in violation of this policy is subject to applicable University disciplinary proceedings.
- Any person who is not a member of the University community and who chalks in violation of this policy on the property of the University or its affiliate organizations also may be charged with violation of a criminal offense under state law for criminal damage to State property.
Bulletin boards and postings: Materials are subject to immediate removal; sponsor may be billed for costs related to removal, clean-up, or repair; companies or groups may lose the privilege of setting up information tables.
Sidewalk chalking: Chalking that does not comply with this policy is subject to immediate removal; individuals or groups may be billed for costs related to removal; registered groups that violate the policy may lose registered status; members of the University community who violate it may be subject to disciplinary action; non-members of the University community may be charged with violation of a criminal offense under state law for criminal damage to state property.
University of Kansas
250 Strong Hall, 1450 Jayhawk Blvd.
Lawrence, KS 66045
08/22/2016: Revisions to section on sidewalk chalking approved by Provost & Executive Vice Chancellor.
12/05/2014: Policy formatting updates (e.g., bolding, spacing).
12/12/2012: Reviewed; no substantive changes.
06/18/2011: Updates approved by the Provost & Executive Vice Chancellor.
08/01/2010: Revisions from 06/25/2010 effective.
06/25/2010: Section on sidewalk chalking approved by the Interim Provost and Executive Vice Chancellor.
01/20/2002: Revision effective spring semester, 2002.
11/07/2001: Approved by the Provost.
11/06/2001: approved by the University Senate Executive Committee.
Fall 2001: Amended by Student Senate
10/01/1998: Approved by the Office of the Provost