KUMC Immunization Requirements for Medical Students (Category A)
To outline specific immunization requirements for Medical Students.
This policy will impact the health and safety concerns for students and maintain patient safety.
Students on KUMC Campus only.
The following vaccinations are required:
- One adult dose of TDap (Tetanus/Diphtheria/Pertussis) is required. Td (Tetanus/Diphtheria ) is required every 10 years after adult TDap dose.
- MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella): Series of two vaccines
- Varicella: Series of two vaccines, or childhood disease
- Hepatitis B: Series of three vaccines
- The following blood tests are required to check for immunity:
- Measles (Rubeola IgG Antibody)
- Mumps (IgG Antibody)
- Rubella (IgG Antibody)
- Hepatitis B (Surface Antibody, Quantitative)
- Varicella (IgG Antibody)
If adequate immunization has not been received by the student prior to the blood tests, the blood tests will show lack of immunity and booster shots may be required. It is recommended that full immunization be finished before the blood tests are completed.
- The student who has a negative titer after the following immunizations will be considered to be a non-responder and no further immunizations will be required:
- Six (6) documented Hepatitis B vaccinations
- Four (4) documented MMR vaccinations
- Two (2) documented Varicella vaccinations
- If the student lacks vaccination records for any of the diseases for which titers are required, (Measles, Mumps, Rubella, Varicella and Hepatitis B), a positive titer for each disease fulfills the requirement.
- Tuberculin Skin Test (PPD)
Two step testing is required for all new students. This involves two separate PPD tests administered and interpreted within the past 12 months. The most recent PPD should be within the last 3 months. Alternatively, a Quantiferon or T-Spot blood test within the last 3 months is acceptable. TB testing is required annually thereafter.
- Seasonal flu shot is required annually while enrolled and is available through Student Health during the fall semester while supplies last. Flu shots received outside Student Health will require documentation. The annual flu shot is a KUMC requirement. Please refer to the KUMC Student Flu Vaccination Policy.
Students who fail to comply with immunization requirements may not be able to enroll for the upcoming term and they will not be able to participate in their clinical rotations.
KUMC Student Health Services Director
Student Center 1012
3901 Rainbow Blvd
Kansas City, KS 66160
The policies are based on CDC guidelines and/or collaborating institutional requirements to address healthcare and occupational safety.
11/7/16: Changed "One adult dose of TDap (Tetanus/Diphtheria/Pertussis) is required (received at 19 years of age or older). Td (Tetanus/Diphtheria ) is required every 10 years after adult TDap dose.” to "One adult dose of TDap (Tetanus/Diphtheria/Pertussis) is required. Td (Tetanus/Diphtheria ) is required every 10 years after adult TDap dose."
09/27/16: Changed "Tdap (Tetanus/Diphtheria/Pertussis): Vaccine must be current (within the past 10 years). Td is not acceptable” to "One adult dose of TDap (Tetanus/Diphtheria/Pertussis) is required (received at 19 years of age or older). Td (Tetanus/Diphtheria ) is required every 10 years after adult TDap dose."
05/06/2016: Removed Date Last Reviewed
7/20/2015: Published online in policy library.
08/01/2005: Approved by the KUMC Vice Chancellor of Student Services